Poll: Which genre do you think needs a new game most?
Action
Adventure
Racing
Role-Playing-Game
Simulation
First-Person-Shooter
Third-Person-Shooter
Sports
Real-Time Strategy
Turn-Based Strategy
Arcade
Fighting
Platformers
MMORPG
Puzzle
Educational
Music and Rhythm
Party
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What gaming genre is lacking quality for you?
03-04-2011, 09:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2011 01:02 AM by DaFreshPrince.)
What gaming genre is lacking quality for you?
Just thought I would see how people felt about the current game market and where there is a hole to be filled. Vote and leave a comment.
I myself feel the adventure genre is lacking any real blockbuster at the moment and believe it needs adressed by someone somewhere. At the moment I struggle to think of one with the quality that other genres currently have such as Call of Duty, Mass Effect, Bayonetta, Mirror's Edge and Fifa etc.

[img]http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/8403/ryan.gif[/img]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2011, 12:36 AM
RE: What gaming genre is lacking quality for you?
Some of your genre categorisation is a bit vague...Shooter, action? I mean Gears of war is at the same time a shooter AND an action game just not in the same vein as say, call of duty.

That said, i've felt for a long time its a shame theres no decent flight simulators available for the current consoles. Hawx didnt really pass muster, and the sequel was diabolical. The thunderhawk series on Mega-CD, Sega Saturn and PS1 was pretty good for its day.

Thomas Gray - Chairman and Lead Designer Causeway Games
Follow Causeway Games on Facebook
PSN id- bujingun
X box live tag- bujingun
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2011, 12:50 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2011 12:51 AM by DaFreshPrince.)
Percisely why I have said leave a comment to explain your choice as you only have 10options for a poll and can't be that precise with the genres.

04-04-2011, 12:56 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2011 01:02 AM by Thomas.)
(04-04-2011 12:50 AM)DaFreshPrince Wrote:  Percisely why I have said leave a comment to explain your choice as you only have 10options for a poll and can't be that precise with the genres.

Im not sure the shooter and 'action' games are that applicable anymore. Id probably replace them with FPS and third person shooter respectively. That pretty much covers the action genre anyway. Thats before you take into account that theres a lot of multi genre games these days. Mass effect is a third person shooter/RPG while Fallout 3 is a FPS/third person shooter/RPG/Sandbox.

If the 10 poll limit is an issue i can see about increasing the limit if you want.

EDIT: Poll limit has been increased to 20.

PSN id- bujingun
X box live tag- bujingun
04-04-2011, 01:01 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2011 01:03 AM by DaFreshPrince.)
It doesn't as slashers such as bayonetta and devil may cry are not shooters but are action.

it won't let me edit the poll...

04-04-2011, 01:04 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2011 01:08 AM by Thomas.)
(04-04-2011 01:01 AM)DaFreshPrince Wrote:  It doesn't as slashers such as bayonetta and devil may cry are not shooters but are action.
I would tend to err on classing these as third person shooters.
Close quarters action games like Ninja Gaiden sigma would be classed as beat em ups or slash em ups (another genre ive noticed missing from your poll).
Which is another one thats been neglected these days. We sorely need a remake of streets of rage or final fight.

(04-04-2011 01:01 AM)DaFreshPrince Wrote:  it won't let me edit the poll...
If you want to start another poll i can merge the threads.

PSN id- bujingun
X box live tag- bujingun
04-04-2011, 01:09 AM
Well they are not even close to shooters they are slash-em-up action as stated on ign and many other sites I don't think you can disinclude a genre like action and break it down to just shooters as it covers so many areas.

Dead on I'll make it here.

04-04-2011, 01:13 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2011 01:18 AM by Thomas.)
(04-04-2011 01:09 AM)DaFreshPrince Wrote:  Well they are not even close to shooters they are slash-em-up action as stated on ign and many other sites I don't think you can disinclude a genre like action and break it down to just shooters as it covers so many areas.

Dead on I'll make it here.

They're based around characters viewed from a third person perspective that fight using projectile weapons. In my book that classes them as third person shooters. Ultimately its splitting hairs. Publishers and retailers tend to lump all these games togther in the big action genre treehouse in spite of everything.
I'd be interested to know what comes to your mind when you think of the shooter genre. The purist understanding of the genre is dead as far as im concerned. Gamers generally have dispensed with the light gun favouring the control pad or keyboard and mouse. What we have now is FPS.

PSN id- bujingun
X box live tag- bujingun
04-04-2011, 01:30 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2011 01:37 AM by DaFreshPrince.)
Well I think thats a very basic view and incorrect as I have T2G book out right now and it say:"Action games are the broadest and most inclusive genre in gaming, featuring different sub-genres".

LIST OF ACTION SUB GENRES

Beat 'em ups
Fighting
Stealth
Shoot 'em ups
Survival horror
Maze such as pac man
Pinball
MMORPG
Shooters 1st & 3rd
Platformers
Hack 'n' Slash
Real time strategy
Sports
Side scrollers
Arcade (majority)

THE LIST GOES ON BUT I CANNOT BE BOTHERED CONTINUING I'VE MADE MY POINT.

Does that make basketball games shooters as you throw a projectile?

04-04-2011, 01:48 AM
(04-04-2011 01:30 AM)DaFreshPrince Wrote:  Well I think thats a very basic view and incorrect as I have T2G book out right now and it say:"Action games are the broadest and most inclusive genre in gaming, featuring different sub-genres".
Well like, i said its just my opinion. Its not about being correct or incorrect, its just a quirk of the industry. I mean if youre going to have a genre composed of many sub genres whats the sense in having the 'main' genre. We've grown up with having the action genre there because in the old days it was easier to classify games. Its not right or wrong, thats just the way it was and shall remain.

(04-04-2011 01:30 AM)DaFreshPrince Wrote:  Does that make basketball games shooters as you throw a projectile?

No, because the basketball is not a 'weapon'. The same could be said for a lot of other 'projectile based' games like FIFA.

PSN id- bujingun
X box live tag- bujingun