Poll: Which genre do you think needs a new game most?
Action
Adventure
Racing
Role-Playing-Game
Simulation
First-Person-Shooter
Third-Person-Shooter
Sports
Real-Time Strategy
Turn-Based Strategy
Arcade
Fighting
Platformers
MMORPG
Puzzle
Educational
Music and Rhythm
Party
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What gaming genre is lacking quality for you?
04-04-2011, 01:52 AM
RE: What gaming genre is lacking quality for you?
Yea I think having main genres helps keeping things in order so things are a lot more organised thats why main genres are made. Sports games are considered action and you said the action genre are just shooters!?!?!?

[img]http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/8403/ryan.gif[/img]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2011, 01:35 PM
The point of this poll is to choose a genre where you think is lacking a real blockbuster title and thats why shooters have been made separate to the action genre as it currently has a massive over inflation of repeatitive COD copies and any other genres not there can be classed under the action genre so people can leave comments in relation to what style of action game such as Ninja Gaiden or whatever. The thing thats really gotten me is your previous statement claiming action is just shooters which completely baffles me and now you've changed your tune?

Another point when you go onto almost any website that sells games they will ALWAYS have an action genre for you to choose so I don't think you can disassociate such an important genre from the gaming industry. Its like going into My Documents on you computer and theres alot of subfolders which you can't put down to pictures and videos (or watever you want).

04-04-2011, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2011 02:23 PM by Thomas.)
(04-04-2011 01:35 PM)DaFreshPrince Wrote:  The point of this poll is to choose a genre where you think is lacking a real blockbuster title and thats why shooters have been made separate to the action genre as it currently has a massive over inflation of repeatitive COD copies and any other genres not there can be classed under the action genre so people can leave comments in relation to what style of action game such as Ninja Gaiden or whatever. The thing thats really gotten me is your previous statement claiming action is just shooters which completely baffles me and now you've changed your tune?
I will concede that i exaggerated slightly orginally (i made that post at around 3am so wasnt really thinking straight). I recall there is a minority of games that are action but not shooters however these are fast dwindling these days and thats why i'd like to see a remake of one of the classic beat em ups. I'm saying that the vast majority of new action games (Fallout NV, Red dead redemption, Mass effect 3, Crysis, Uncharted series, Gears of war 3...blah blah blah) seem to be (in my experience at least) shooters of one form or another.

Again we are splitting hairs and i dont want to get drawn into a nonsensical debate.

(04-04-2011 01:35 PM)DaFreshPrince Wrote:  Another point when you go onto almost any website that sells games they will ALWAYS have an action genre for you to choose so I don't think you can disassociate such an important genre from the gaming industry.
I agree and it annoys me because it is a lazy hamfisted way of categorising such a broad spectrum of games. I often go on the playstation store and the categories are action, shooter, puzzler, rpg, driving, family etc. I mantain that i dont see how heavy rain can be put in the same category as bayonetta or red faction.

Thomas Gray - Chairman and Lead Designer Causeway Games
Follow Causeway Games on Facebook
PSN id- bujingun
X box live tag- bujingun
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2011, 11:17 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2011 11:18 PM by Rodney.)
Typical causeway arguing over points that don't really matter instead of just voting.

Anyway, I voted Turn-Based Strategy as I used to love these on the zx spectrum and since leaving that platform I having always installed the emulators to replay them as I've never really found any decent new ones but I've found some impressive remakes of chaos.

Recently been playing the browser turn based risk clone warlight.net which is fun but looks crap.
04-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Have you never played any of the civilisations? I have to say I have always enjoyed them and they kept me entertained for a long time.

05-04-2011, 12:24 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2011 12:50 AM by Rodney.)
No I was put off by Civilization: Revolution on the 360, I wasn't too keen on that. But I have just been looking at Civilization 5 on youtube, I'm really tempted as it looks excellent.

I'd still like to see a new good quality turn based game though, maybe one with a more simplistic nature just like the old spectrum ones except with quality graphics and fx. The power of nostalgia?...
05-04-2011, 01:04 AM
yea i agree i think it does lack any other title than civ really.

I enjoyed civ rev but at the start was a bit hmm with the change of graphics and they removed a good amount of troops and countries but ended up enjoying it lol also have 3 for comp and its fantastic think its alot better than rev to be honest.

05-04-2011, 02:07 PM
(05-04-2011 01:04 AM)DaFreshPrince Wrote:  yea i agree i think it does lack any other title than civ really.

I enjoyed civ rev but at the start was a bit hmm with the change of graphics and they removed a good amount of troops and countries but ended up enjoying it lol also have 3 for comp and its fantastic think its alot better than rev to be honest.

Real time strategy in general has suffered a body blow since the demise of CnC.

Thomas Gray - Chairman and Lead Designer Causeway Games
Follow Causeway Games on Facebook
PSN id- bujingun
X box live tag- bujingun
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2011, 12:04 PM
(05-04-2011 02:07 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Real time strategy in general has suffered a body blow since the demise of CnC.

In my opinion they ruined CnC on the xbox360 with that new control method. I still play red alert on the ps1 as I find the old control method much better.
10-04-2011, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2011 04:52 PM by Stuart.)
Thomas, I would say real time strategy is doing fine since at one stage after its release last year CnC 4 was the top selling PC game and StarCraft 2 which came out later in the year sold 1 million copies on its first day.

Rodney I have a turn based strategy on my mobile called Uni war which is basically a turn based CnC and cost like 99p which you might like, and just got the original final fantasy which has a lot of turn based fighting. I also just splashed out £5 for CnC 4 Tiberium Twilight which is great on the mobile and worth the extra £4.

The problem people have with turn based strategy is the time it takes the computer to make a move, especially on mobile which is an issue I have with Uni War and also a number of Chess games I have played. If we could make a turn based game were the computer could calculate each move against you in a split second then it would be worth pursuing otherwise I would forget it.
As for the survey, I have no idea, I don't play enough new games to make an educated guess.