Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is PC ONLY a viable business option?
01-03-2011, 08:39 PM
RE: Is PC ONLY a viable business option?
interesting reading ... and ... promising !!!! i was suprised when i checked the poll on here about the gaming platforms !!! pc at present comes out on top , which is reflected in what stuart was saying !! maybe a small poll does give a fairly acurate picture ?? anyways , as far as rota goes .. if were dreaming of selling it at over a tenner a pop , like thomas says , its gota be DAMN GOOD !!!!

i recently played a demo of bejewled twist! , and it is going for £9.99 in pc world !!! it is very good , polished , and 3d cut scenes are realy nice !!! i think we've a long way to go with rota !! Wink
but i think , ya get back in return , for what you put in !!!

just my 2 pennies worth !!! lol

"genius is 1% insperation --- 99% perspiration" :idea:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2011, 09:48 PM
alryt simon m8,
i'd be a little bit cautious with the way you interpret the data... yes everyone who works for causeway has a pc (otherwise how would they work on games), but not all of them have a pc that is capable of playing games that the 360 can play, ya no what i mean? what im trying to say is that just because some1 owns a pc doesnt mean they use it for gaming, or if they do it could be to play farmville or to emulate old consoles. Just a thought man.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Your right Ryan, but playing Farmville or even solitaire on your PC is still playing a computer game. My girlfriend hates computer games, or thinks she does, but loves playing solitaire on her mobile, thats a game that cost me £2.99 to download, I bought need for speed and it cost the same price. A game is a game and it doesn't matter if its the latest version of Halo or a simple Chess game, they all make money and don't all require hi spec PC's to run them. Also we have to get away from this concept that the only gamers are either hardcore or causal types. There is a whole spectrum of gamers out there. Occasional gamers who only play for a few hours a week actually make up 24% of the total market and play almost exclusively only board games such as chess/backgammon and Puzzel games such as Bejeweled and (maybe) Rotasphere. That's 24% of a market currently worth over $100 billion worldwide only play games that could run on a PCs system about 6 or 7 years old or maybe more. I actually know very few people who own PCs and don't play games of some kind. Even my mums neighbors who are in their 60's play bejeweled on their old desktop and its ancient. So no very few PCs can play 360 games but the figs for 2010 show that console game sales have dropped 6% and the huge rise overall in computer games figures have come from down-loadable content to mobiles and PCs. Also the rise of internet connections in places such as China is allowing for more online gaming through cheap affordable PCs and this is set to grow astronomically in the next few years and is something we really want to be tapping into.
02-03-2011, 12:24 AM
exactly man, thing is tho, if we are going to go all 3d and ape shit for rotasphere, will it run on our target markets pcs?
02-03-2011, 12:33 AM
ryan ,
by the time we get a version or two of rota down , we will make sure they run on 'average' pc's , by that i mean the teams assorted hardware ! if it runs on our hardware .. chances are it will run on most pc's , also , as ive said before , we will have to include minimum specs on the release version anyways , it seems to be standard precedure ... its bin that way since the mid 80's lol Smile on the back of tape cassettes !!! Wink

"genius is 1% insperation --- 99% perspiration" :idea:
02-03-2011, 01:55 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2011 01:57 AM by Rodney.)
Just looking on the darkbasic site and found recommended specs for darkbasic is only a 733 MHz Pentium III Processor and a 32mb directx9 graphics card. I think that will cover most computers these days.

I remember those tapes, nice £3 budget games, 48k/128k/+2 Joystick Only. Good times...
02-03-2011, 06:58 AM
hey, so long as the target market can play it im happy
02-03-2011, 08:56 AM
When I am talking about giving Rotasphere a more 3d feel I just mean to create a 3d image in Blender and the export it as a jpeg for the background which is something similar to the backgrounds in bejeweled, just gives it more depth and you can play with lights and stuff to give a nice atmosphere.
02-03-2011, 09:39 AM
aye, that's fair enough, that's what they did with donkey kong country, yeah that wont be to heavy on preformance